Friday, July 24, 2009

Thump thump thump....

This is the sound that Fez makes as he runs around the house. It is a good sound to hear again! Fez has done well so far and seems to be back to himself. He is active and tears around the house. At the same time, he has returned to sitting with me in the study and asking to play with his laser. I wasn't sure what this week would bring. Some animals are a little lethargic, nauseous, inappetant and generally tired after chemotherapy. So far the only negative effect I have noticed is that Fez's appetite has decreased a little. He is still hungry - just eats somewhat less than what he would previously eat.

On Monday, Fez goes back in to OVC to have his blood pulled. We will submit it to determine how his bone marrow responded to the chemotherapy. Like any human on chemotherapy, his white blood cell count will fall and he will be more susceptible to infections. We will need to monitor his blood work as well as any clinical signs that he may not be well. Thankfully he is doing well so far!

p.s. He hasn't lost any whiskers yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better. I'm still surprised at how well my cat's been doing since I've been giving her insulin. She's 14, so not as active as Fez, but still plays sometimes and is very happy and cuddly again. She's always been a puker too but after giving her better foods (with no grains) that's improved a lot too.

    And I totally hear you on how difficult it is to treat them without being able to explain to them what's going on. My cat's pretty good with the needles now, but I've gone through some rough times trying to get it in her. I wish I could explain to her that it's the needles that makes her feel so much better, but instead she probably thinks I'm just being mean. It was easy when I started it because she was feeling too bad to bother fighting back. The hardest time was when she was finally feeling good enough to fight back. Hopefully things continue to go well with Fez though. He's a really pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete